Author Topic: CZ527 Carbine trigger adjustments  (Read 12127 times)

MarkG

CZ527 Carbine trigger adjustments
« on: August 19, 2011, 02:24:57 AM »
Hello All,

The CZ527 Owners Manual identifies the three trigger adjustment screws (A,B, &C) for take-up, let-off, and pull, plus it shows the set trigger adjustment screw in front of the trigger. What it doesn't tell you is which way to turn the screws. I've e-mailed CZ twice now, but have not received an answer. Would anybody know?

Screw A = trigger pull. Clockwise rotation will ______ and counter-clockwise will______
Screw B = travel before. Clockwise rotation will _____ and counter-clockwise will ______
Screw C = travel after. Clockwise rotation will ____ and counter-clockwise will ______
Set Trigger Screw. Clockwise rotation will _____ and counter-clockwise will _____

Thanks!

Offline ZG47

• Firearm Safety Instructor, Shooter, Hunter
Re: CZ527 Carbine trigger adjustments
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 03:01:11 AM »
Sorry, can't remember, but (with all due respect to your other accomplishments) I will say this:

1. A novice should only be concerned with weight of pull when making his/her own adjustments. NB I ran a firing range for fourteen years and have lost count of the DIY trigger issues I had to deal with.

2. You should be using a trigger pull gauge, in order to double check the effect of your adjustments. I suggest that you borrow or buy one before you start fiddling.

Best of luck and remember to carry out a rigorous cocking test before firing.
A good shot at close range beats a 'hit' at a longer range.

b5.5dan

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 05:56:48 PM »
Welcome to the forum MarkG! I'm afraid I can't help you much here, but someone will chime in before too long. You may consider simply calling the gunsmiths at CZ-USA rather than waiting for an email reply. I believe the number is 800-955-4486.

Good luck, and again, Welcome to CZ Forum!

MarkG

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 11:46:31 PM »
b5.5dan,

Thank you for the info. I did call CZ, and spoke to a gunsmith (I believe his name was Neil). He was very helpful and gave me this advice which I will share:

Screw A= tighten to increase pressure, loosen to reduce
Screw B= tighten to decrease creep, loosen to add
Screw C= tighten to limit over-travel, loosen to allow
Set Screw= tighten to lighten set trigger

I haven't tried any of this yet, and I may not make any adjustments at all, as I like the factory settings as-is. However, I think its important to know about them. CZ put those adjusting screws there for a reason, and furthermore identified them in the
Owners Manual.  If so, they should at least give instructions so that customers will be forewarned of incorrect procedures.

Footnote: as I have lived in a remote part of rural Alaska for almost 40 years, its not like I can drive down to a local gunstore
or gunsmith for advice or repairs. I appreciate the help that CZ and this forum's moderators have offered. Sometimes we must all play the part of a "novice"....

b5.5dan

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 12:17:57 AM »
I'll always be a novice sir!  :laugh:
And i would love to see Alaska. Thanks for the info. I'm going to make this sticky when i get on my computer instead of my phone

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 09:43:02 AM »
My advice would be to:

Adjust screw A to desired pull weight but never lighter than is necessary for the gun's intended use. Obviously a target rifle could be set lighter than a hunting rifle.
Do not adjust screw B unless you are totally familiar with sear adjustments and then bump test afterward (the gun should not fire when the heel of the stock is firmly bumped on a firm surface).
Adjust screw C (tighten) until the sear will not let off (until it will not dry fire). Then loosen in 1/2 turn increments until the sear breaks. It's better to have just a little more overtravel than too little as an extreme temperature change could affect this setting.
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline ZG47

• Firearm Safety Instructor, Shooter, Hunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 06:34:36 PM »
Further to above:

1. A bump test is a part of a rigorous cocking test. NB I say rigorous because I belong to a national hunting association which has allowed unsuitable persons to write so-called safety rules for national competitions that include a false cocking test without either rapid bolt working or a bump test.

2. You should start with rapid working of the bolt.

3. The bump test should be done with safety on and safety off.

Look forward to seeing more of your posts. As you imply, we are always learning.
A good shot at close range beats a 'hit' at a longer range.

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 07:44:49 AM »
That's right. Good point on working the bolt. I have a rifle that "uncocks" when the bolt is opened. I'm assuming it's trigger related and the sear is not setting. Dangerous stuff.
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles