Author Topic: Range Reports with Proof, er, Pictures  (Read 87917 times)

b5.5dan

Re: Range Reports with Proof, er, Pictures
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2012, 08:28:30 PM »
WooHoo! I went to the range today and didn't suck! Not shooting like a master, but I'm pretty pleased...

I know there are plenty here who could put me to shame, but it's great to be shooting like "my old self" again...  :laugh:
By the way, this is with some plain old Remington 115gr JHP. The stuff I carry with (when I'm not using the Federal HST). I like it well enough.

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2012, 07:45:40 AM »
Looks great!

One thing that helps my targets is to take a .30-06 round and punch ten holes in it before I send it down range.  :shocked:

Is that Remington stuff the UMC flavor? The only hollow points I have shot so far are my brother's reloads.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2012, 06:39:10 PM »
 :tongue: 30-06!  thanks funny, I'm going to have to remember that.

And Dan: that's shiny as it gets sir! well done. See I told you somedays it just goes bad for no reason, and then youare back in the grove. And I'm pretty sure I couldn't match those patterns. At least not for a bit of practice that's for sure. (a bit of practice being about a million rounds. :laugh: )
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

b5.5dan

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2012, 09:22:57 PM »
Thank you! Things are still going well! These are rapid shots... Probably 2/second...

For that reason, those 2 flyers don't bother me in the least. Man... I LOVE my CZs!

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2012, 09:26:14 PM »
Holy target Batman! That is good shooting. Great shooting. Superb shooting.

I have not practiced rapid fire shooting. It is something that I want to learn some day.

Which ammo? Any recommendations or knowledge gained that you feel worthy to share?

b5.5dan

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2012, 09:35:26 PM »
Thank you, sir! I was using 115gr Seller & Beliot. Cheap but it seemed clean and accurate enough. I meant to add that part. I was on fire tonight! Even had sub-2ft groups with the 52 haha

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2012, 05:36:04 PM »
So, I haven't given you guys a range report. Well I have one for you today! I started to take my CZ 85B to the range today and decided last minute to rent a Model 1911 .45 ACP. I have never shot a .45 nor a 1911.

Let me say that it was very interesting indeed. I am going to repeat what I have posted on a 1911 forum.

I go to my local guns store and range.
They have a Springfield 1911 .45 ACP. "Do you have ammo?" they asked. "Nope".
They get a box of American Eagle and a target and off I go.

I load up five rounds. Rack the slide. Aim. Pull trigger. No earth shattering ka-boom.

Drop the mag. Round falls out mag well I think.
Load it back up.
Pull trigger. Bang. I think, man this thing doesn't kick at all
Pull trigger. No bang. I notice it is not in full battery.
Drop mag. Rack slide. Nothing comes out. Look in, I can see the brass in the chamber. Point at target, pull trigger. Still nothing.

I can't get it to extract. I can't flip it out with my finger nail either.
I go and get someone at the range. He flips it out with his knife. It didn't come out easy. The brass is split in several places, both length wise and around as well.

Hmmm..........

He spends some time looking the gun over, making sure the barrel isn't blocked and other things. Then he puts the mag back and and racks the slide. Pulls trigger, no bang.

Here is were the issue is exposed. He rocks the gun barrel down looking at it and the entire cartridge falls out the barrel.

.40 S&W is not the right bullet for a .45 ACP.

I should have noticed, but I was excited shooting my first model 1911 .45 ACP and it was the first time I have ever rented a gun. My bad for being distracted.

So, I only had about 40 minutes on my lunch break, so I still haven't fired a .45 ACP in a model 1911.

So for now, all I can say is two thumbs down for Model 1911 .45 ACP. They constantly jam, never extract, bullets key hole the target, and entire cartridges fall out the barrel.  :shocked: Who would ever want such a gun!  :cry:

It was sure funny and I will go back down next Wednesday. I might take the CZ or try again with the .45.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2012, 06:00:22 PM »
ummmmmmmm Opps? :cheesy:
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2012, 03:51:21 PM »
Shot the CZ 85B and the Browning 1911-A1 22 today.
No photos this time, sorry. I was showing my son-in-law how to operate a semi-auto pistol.

7 yards, 1 inch group, 3 rounds, the CZ runs like a champ! No problems and always pleases.

The Browning 1911-A1 22 has bee perfect as well.

b5.5dan

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2012, 06:08:57 PM »
Glad you are ok after the .40/.45 thing. THat could, I imagine, have been a mess.

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2012, 05:36:57 PM »
First real range day since surgery. The previous trip my Son-In-Law racked the slide and I just shot a few. Well, today I found a CZ 75 Compact for sale locally. I told my Son-In-Law and went with him to check it out. Well, it was what the user described and he bought it. So, we had to go to the range and shoot it, so I got out the CZ 85B and my last box of WWB and went to the range. His Compact ran just fine.

I shot the 100 rounds. WWB. I experienced 3 failures to eject. I know the problem. I was having trouble supporting the pistol with my weak hand that had the surgery and it was messing with my grip by not having the stock/grip properly in my shooting hand. Technically a limp wrist situation. Now the WWB might be a bit underpowered as well, compounding the problem. Tired, wrists sore, but got her done.

10 yards, 21 rounds (there were actually 101 in the box unless I loaded 9 sometime).

As you can see, I have got some recovering to do.

7 yards, 20 rounds. Too much finger on the trigger trying to get a comfortable grip. My hand is aching while I type this.  :angry:

Pleased to be out. Pleased I could hit the paper. Not happy with the result but realize it is all part of the process.

Well, that's another 101 down the old pipe.

Online chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2012, 05:49:57 PM »
Considering there are only 4 outside the red....I fail to understand how you couldn't be happy.....I would give my left arm to shoot that tight..... :tongue:
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2012, 06:12:06 PM »
Don't say that!  :shocked: I already gave my left hand to shoot like that!  :grin:

b5.5dan

« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2012, 12:00:05 AM »
I'm 35, have good glasses, and there is nothing wrong with either of my hands and you shoot better than I do. Good shootin'. Remember, It could be worse. You could shoot like Dan!  :laugh:

Online chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2012, 12:14:35 AM »
Don't say that!  :shocked: I already gave my left hand to shoot like that!  :grin:
:shocked: :shocked: :grin: :grin: :grin:
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad