Author Topic: Finding and buying the same Manufacture and brand (ie Remington UMC) in multible  (Read 3512 times)

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
   Well two things. I did order the replacement sensor along with 2 extras, and the sides and tops also. So that's taken care of. Here's the thing. I decided instead of getting a couple boxes of different Mfg and trying all of them through a single weapon like I did the first time, I want to get the same mfg ammunition in all the different calibers I now have, 9mm, .40, .380, .45 and so on. And I figured I would start with Remington's UMC since more than one member has indicated that they rather like that brand. The problem is that I can't find one place that has then all let, alone all of then in bulk of 500 rnds per box/case? I have even tried calling Remington for help but had to leave messages, but they haven't responded yet. I even told them I didn't want anything for free just one place I could buy everything at one time. SO that leaves me with looking for another ammunition mfg to test. Any one have any suggestions? But, as I said I would rather buy all the same brand in each caliber form one place and in lots of 500 at least for the 9mm if nothing else. I tried cheaper than dirt and a few others but non of them have all the calibers.

BTW I now have a second question, the first round of testing will be with FMJ rounds. I was wondering if it would be worth the time and expense to test Flat nosed or Jacketed/semi-jacketed hollow points also? I know I have had real problems with hollow points and wad cutters and I think some truncated rounds but I am not sure if anyone else has. And to be totally honest I have only ever tried using those sort of rounds in my 75 pre-B, I have not tried them in any B model CZ at all.

So I'm open to suggestions/ on where if possible to buy the ammo in one place in each caliber I need, and if Remington and Winchester aren't intrested in giving me any suggestions on where to buy want I want the way I want, I need some idea from you folks. I have got to find somewhere really cheap because buying ammo locally is way to damn expensive, especially when you have pretty much no money. So the more I can save the more tests I can run so our members can have something to help them decide on what may be best for them.

Oh and I know someone is going to point out that reloading is as cheap as it gets. but the problem with that is that I'm guessing here. not very many members reload. So I need to keep things as close to real world as I can afford, Since most folks buy ready made ammo.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
One of the complaints that I have heard as a range officer is " The round nose feed fine, but the hollow points don't".  So I think the bullet shape is important.  Often seating the cartridges to the rear of the magazine helps this, sometimes not.
Have you looked at 
   http://www.natchezss.com/Ammo.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=RT&prodID=RT23781&prodTitle=Remington UMC .45 ACP 230gr FMJ 250/box   
  for different calibers of ammo?  They show "in stock" for Remington in the calibers that you mentioned. 

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
         Ya I saw that/them. But I know so damn little about ammunition I wonder/wondered about the different calibers being packaged in different boxes. Some are the yellow UMC boxes big and bold, and some are in the green and white boxes and the UMC isn't the primary thing you see first, Remington is. So do the different boxes mean something different? I don't know how clear I just made that but it just maybe I am OCD about having things look the same when I compared them. As long as the letters UMC are there some where on the box does that mean they are the same brand and make and model just in different packaging?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 07:07:19 PM by GhostWarrior »

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
For years Remington has jumped back and forth with their packaging.  I have never been able to see any difference between UMC & Remington.  It would be worth asking them if there is anything different.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
         OK then I'll ask them the next time I talk to them which hopefully will the beginning of the week. Man if they come through I am damn near going to have to live at that range to run the ammo through all the models. I guess I'll need to stock up heavy on batteries for the chronograph  :cheesy: 9 different models of 9mm alone, the 5 assorted other calibers and out of that bunch the .40 is 3 different models. And I just realised that I still need to buy a Ramsen pistol vise  :sad: