Author Topic: Need help with CZ 527 sights  (Read 3704 times)

Offline Jughead

Need help with CZ 527 sights
« on: June 17, 2018, 09:41:22 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum and new to CZ rifles (though not pistols). This may be well-trodden ground here but I'm hoping some of the experienced members can give me some insights.
    I recently lucked into a deal on a beautiful CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39. Unfortunately, the previous owner had removed the rear sight, apparently thinking that it would interfere with the scope. Looking at how the scope is mounted I don't see how that could be, but I suppose he knew what he wanted. However, he must have lost the rear sight by the time he offered the rifle for consignment.
     So I want to replace the rear sight but I'm not sure which height it should be. The front sight is a #5. Does that mean the factory also mounted a #5 rear sight or did it depend on the shooting characteristics of the particular rifle? How much variance is there likely to be between front and rear sights? For instance, is it possible that a #1 rear sight and a #10 front sight would combine to give the best accuracy. I'm looking for reasonable iron sight accuracy at about 50 yards.
     Any advice or information would be much appreciated.

Offline david

Re: Need help with CZ 527 sights
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 07:40:04 PM »
CZ offers four different rear sight heights Number 1 @ .444  #2@ .487  #3@ .514  #4@ .557. They also offer 14 different heights of front sights (#1 - #14). Without knowing the rear sight height  your number 5 front sight does not really mean anything. I'm not sure what to suggest other than taking a pop can (aluminum) and a pair of scissors and cutting a strip. fold the strip into an "L" shape trim to fit your rear sight dovetail. Trim the top of the "L" about .557 tall. After that it's trial by firing. Take a shot at 50 yards if your point of impact is to high trim a little off the top of the "L" with your scissors. When your pop can rear sight and # 5 front sight line up and begin hitting where you want measure the rear sight and this will tell you what rear sight you need. If the pop can rear sight measurement isn't exactly one of the ones listed above pick the closest one and then you have to fine tune with the different front sights. The rear sights go for about 10 buck from CZ-USA and the front ones cost about the same. Sorry I don't have an easy answer. Good Luck