Author Topic: Tight bolt action on 550 varmint rifle.  (Read 3468 times)

Offline jay-man

Tight bolt action on 550 varmint rifle.
« on: February 24, 2017, 07:15:00 PM »
With the unusually warm weather here in Kentucky, I decided to do some long range target practice with my 550 varmint kevlar (chambered in 22-250). I've owned this great coyote killer for two years now and definitely plan on keeping it, but every so often when  I push the bolt forward to chamber a new round, the bolt acts like it's meeting some resistance. There are no marks on the bolt to suggest any damage being done, if I work the action back and forth a few times, it seems to loosen up. I've tried 3 different brands of ammo, that doesn't seem to make it any better or any worse! I can't find a decent gunsmith for 100 miles, so there is really no "professional" to inspect the rifle. Has anyone else experienced this with their CZ 550? I have put less 50 rounds through her, maybe just a matter of breaking in? Just a minor aggravation with an otherwise outstanding CZ product.

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Re: Tight bolt action on 550 varmint rifle.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 07:45:28 PM »
You may have a burr or something either on the bold itself, or inside the chamber. I know this will sound crazy, but hear me out...

Remove your bolt from the action, set it aside. Take a large brass bore brush and attach it to a section of your cleaning rod. Chuck the rod into a drill. Run the drill at full speed inside the chamber where the bolt face meets the receiver and work it inside. It will wear off the burr if there is one. Then put on your biggest cleaning swab and do the same thing. Check the swab and see if there are any metal particles.

Then replace your bolt with a little lube then check it. If its better, problem solved.

This is a trick I use when building AR15s. Sometimes they have a rough chamber and will mar the hell out of the brass or wont mate with the BCG. (Especially if its a frankengun with parts from different MFGRs.)

If it is a bolt, that's a different story.

Us a cloth and slowly go over every edge on the bolt, you may find that it catches in certain places. If you have a china marker or soap stone then you can mark the rough edges and take it to a gunsmith for polishing. (Along with the rifle of course) If you are an intrepid soul and are brave or knowledgeable enough to do it yourself, then do so. Save time and money.

I haven't had the problem you have had, but then again the 550 Varmint I have was used. 

Offline jay-man

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 01:58:43 AM »
I had a nice Savage 22-250 that was my first varmint rifle, it was a great entry level rifle, but it was no CZ! I spent almost a year researching and looking for a 550 when my local gun dealer just happened to get in four of them...brand new. In my research, I remember an article (maybe a forum? ) that discussed a "stiff bolt action" on this particular model, but in the .308 caliber. The advice given was that the 550 was "not known to have smooth action and didn't like to be babied, slam the bolt shut, it will loosen over time". I have considered some kind of burr, but there is no evidence on the shell casings, and the action is not stiff every time. I do appreciate your advice and will follow your suggestion, I love the way that this rifle shoots and with several thousand acres of farm fields around my place, and who knows how many coyotes, I definitely plan on keeping her. Thanks AVM, I'll post any results as they occur.

Offline jay-man

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 08:12:58 PM »
Tried the above suggestion and can't really tell a difference, there's a good chance that the action will loosen with use, this is still a practically new rifle. As usual, I do appreciate any helpful tips & info that is shared on this awesome forum, and I learned a few basic remedies for future reference. Times like this I wish there was a reputable gunsmith school in my area, AND I had the patience to learn the trade.

Offline jkingrph

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 08:14:41 AM »
I have a 550 Safari, that had a sticky bolt, it was always sticky in spots when operating the action, not just chambering a round.  A applied some Flitz metal polish and cylcled it a few hundred times and it smoothed up.  Compared to my Winchester M 70 and some of the old military Mausers, such as my Swedish M 96's,  the CZ rifles are rough.  I still like them, after  a bit of break in and smoothing they are reliable, just not as slick as some others.