Author Topic: Recoil guide rod issue  (Read 5764 times)

Offline WCSting

Recoil guide rod issue
« on: April 23, 2016, 07:04:44 AM »
I have a new SP-01 Shadow and after only 3 weeks and about 1,300 rounds the flange end of the guide rod is all chewed up. Is this normal? It looks like it is getting worse after every shoot and I am getting concerned.

Offline WCSting

Re: Recoil guide rod issue
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 07:05:48 AM »
another picture

Offline WCSting

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 03:34:09 PM »
Has no one had this happen? I heard from David at CGW and he said he had seen several CZ Custom SP-01's that had this issue but had not really figured out what was causing it - possibly too low a recoil spring. Any suggestions would be helpful. It gets worse with every use.

Leo

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 07:29:41 PM »
This is common in both my shadows.  I have not seen or heard of any cures for this but haven't worried too much since both guns run reliably.  It looks terrible but has never caused any malfunctions.

Offline WCSting

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 11:43:16 AM »
I got a response from Rob at CZ Custom - "That seems to happen to one out of 100 guns. We don’t understand why but it happens. We generally buff the guide rod out when it happens. Doesn’t seem to affect the pistols at all actually."
[/size]
[/size]Interesting. It definitely hasn't affected performance - just is a concern. Thanks for the response Leo. At least I feel like someone else here has the same issue and it isn't a major worry.

Leo

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 12:15:54 PM »
Interesting that they say it happens to 1 out of 100 guns. Every shadow (mine and friends) have guide rods that look like this. Interestingly enough, my CTS' do not show this same kind of "wear".

Offline WCSting

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 12:42:28 PM »
David at CGW said he has seen is "quite often". Not sure what that means, but his immediate response to me was what recoil spring is in the gun. Its a factory spring, and its a Shadow as well. [size=78%] [/size]

Leo

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 08:51:05 PM »
Did he say if running a heavier or lighter recoil spring helps/reduces the wear?  I know of some guys that run the plastic guide rods and change them out as they wear. Adding the guide rod to their consumable parts list to change periodically.

Offline WCSting

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 08:56:36 PM »
I spoke with him today and he recommended to use the polymer guide rod. Because of its lighter weight, it will resist bouncing against the battery and the spring will keep it seated successfully.

Offline Dvrdwn72

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 08:37:25 PM »
Stuart at czc said it's normal. I've got several thousand rounds through mine without any issues.

Offline Orlandochuck

• CZFORUM.COM SHOOTING TEAM MEMBER
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 03:28:53 PM »
Is anyone lubricating the spring and guide rod?
CZ 75 Shadow
IDPA Sharpshooter
USPSA
CZForum.com team member

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 03:39:24 PM »
Is anyone lubricating the spring and guide rod?

I Lube both on my pistols....
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

Offline Kolholznik

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 07:15:30 AM »
Maybe a dumb question but is your guide rod aluminum or stainless steel?  I replaced the polymer guide rod in my P-01 with a stainless steel guide rod shortly after purchasing it.  1500+ rounds thru it now and the same area on mine shows no visible signs of wear.  I always keep the guide rod and spring lightly lubed.
CZ 75B Matte Stainless, (2) CZ P-01's, CZ 75D PCR, CZ 455 American Synthetic, Colt 6721 HBAR, Remington 700 LR .300 WM, Sig 1911 TTT, Sig P220 Elite

Offline WCSting

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2016, 08:20:35 AM »
Guide rod is Stainless. So, I think I have found a solution. I polished and machined the guide rod back to as new condition so I could monitor it wear going forward, and then I replaced the recoil spring with a 14#, and have now shot about 700 rounds through it in the last 3 weeks. Looks perfect. Pretty much NO difference in recoil action is all I feel, but then I am a crappy shooter.