Author Topic: Acceptable grouping at 25 meters  (Read 3960 times)

grefwen

Acceptable grouping at 25 meters
« on: May 06, 2014, 08:40:58 AM »
What is the best I can reasonably expect out of a CZ85 Combat? I already have a few loads that, including the flyers, do 1.6" 10-shot groups. Is there any need to keep looking or should I be happy with this and just load a huge batch of ammo?

Offline chfields

• Administrator
Re: Acceptable grouping at 25 meters
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 10:46:23 AM »
I would say, 1.6"@25M is pretty good. I'm sure if you put it in a rest you can get sub .5"@25M. The question is what are you happy with?? IMHO load em up!!!!! :cheesy:
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

Radom

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 12:11:03 AM »
I would need a lot more information.  Are you using a mechanical rest, physical rest (like a sandbag or "notch"), or shooting freehand? 

Even mechanical rests seem to be "load sensitive," from what I can tell.  I've never had access to a Ransom Rest, the proper parts/inserts, and a CZ at the same time. 

An acquaintance who belongs to my range has a Ransom Rest, but I've only used it with K-frame S&Ws at 25 meters.  We found that many of our "pet loads" actually group better from a physical rest or shooting freehand, even at longer ranges.  My theory is that a nearly perfect load developed by a particular shooter with his/her own equipment and components will actually shoot better in his/her own hands.  In other words, that shooter's individual technique and idiosyncrasies, along with using the same exact equipment an components, are what made that load nearly perfect in the first place. 

1.6" group, depending on how you measure it, would be considered acceptable with any handgun at 25 meters.  If you are measuring dispersion from POA, that is pretty good for a service pistol, even from a mechanical rest.  If you are measuring the actual group from point-to-point from a mechanical rest, then not so much. 

Shooting freehand at significant distances seems to be more dependent on the sight picture/covering of the sights, individual techniques (such as trigger control), and confidence, rather than the actual characteristics of the pistol.  Most pistols are not designed to shoot at 25m, due to the limitations of the sights. 

grefwen

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 01:34:23 AM »
Just to clarify...

The group was shot in a Ransom Rest, and 1.6" is the diameter (not radius) of the group.

I am perfectly aware that a Ransom Rest is not ideal when using a firearm where the frame, barrel and sights aren't fixed in relation to each other, but it should give some sort of indication at least...

Radom

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 02:17:39 AM »
Just to clarify...

The group was shot in a Ransom Rest, and 1.6" is the diameter (not radius) of the group.

I am perfectly aware that a Ransom Rest is not ideal when using a firearm where the frame, barrel and sights aren't fixed in relation to each other, but it should give some sort of indication at least...

If you are "perfectly aware" of these factors, please post some sort of indication in your question.  You did not mention a particular method/brand of mechanical rest in your original post.