Author Topic: my reloading setup  (Read 11142 times)

kobus

my reloading setup
« on: July 17, 2013, 01:17:20 PM »
here are some pics of my reloading setup

Steve H.

Re: my reloading setup
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 06:48:46 AM »

WOW!!! I'm amazed at the set up. And, here I thought I discovered ( :azn: ) a new way to save money...

That looks like S&B Primers on table. How do they compare to Winchester WSP Prmers. In respect to loading in that beautiful Lee Press.
My Lee Classic sits flat on table. I did put extra heavy over hang on table for support. What is purpose of your set up by raising Lee Press? Looks great, easier handling??

Advise recipe for your 9mm loads. (give details).

kobus

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 08:02:31 AM »
hi Steve. i will reply in more detail to your questions over the weekend. i'm at the office right now and tomorrow morning hitting the shooting range.  :wink:

kobus

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 12:01:41 PM »
ok here goes ....

i chronograph all my new loads. this means new bullets, different powders, different primers, etc.

for example loading 124gr CMJ FP bullets with 4.5gr Somchem S121 powder all at 27.50mm (1.082") over Pro Chrono Digital. Strings of 10 rounds each with CZ SP01 Shadow.

1) Winchester WSP           = ave 1082 fps = pf 134.16
2) PMP Denel SP Magnum = ave 1093 fps = pf 135.53
3) Magtech SP                   = ave 1096 fps = pf 135.90
4) S&B SP                          = ave 1090 fps = pf 135.16
5) CCI no 500 SP              = ave 1079 fps = pf 133.79
6) Fiocchi SP                      = ave 1088 fps = pf 134.91

you can see that there isn't much difference between the various primers with this specific bullet, at this COL and load. look at items 1 and 4 to answer your question. i can also confirm that depending on the cases used that all these are easy to seat and i do not find any of them to be problematic. i buy and use any of these primers as and when i can get them and i usually have at least between 1k and 2k of each in my reloading bench.

i raised the Lee Pro 1000 press to have space underneath for extra storage and to have a bin to catch the used primers through a hole but the main reason was to get the press at a comfortable height for sitting on a high stool or standing. i also use brass wingnuts on the Lee as i do not have it mounted all the time. i only mount it occasionally when i load other calibers than 9mm Para.

i am by no means an expert on reloading but i will give hints and tips where ever i can but i would prefer not to share my reloading recipes for your own safety. i believe that you should determine the correct COL for the bullet / s that you load and work up loads with your preferred powders starting at min load specified by the powder manufacturer.  i have a few reloading manuals and would gladly look up specific loads for you if you tell me which bullet and powder you want to work up a load for.

fire away  :laugh: if you have any more questions.

Steve H.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 07:37:35 AM »
Much information (YA) I owe you a cup of coffee. Next time y'all in SC.

I've now added Tiemens/Tiemens, Powder Burn Rate Chart to my list.( :smiley: ). Somchem Powder S121, burn rate close to Winchester 231. Member: Rodolfo Fierro did advise to go with. My chart says 1.090".. Right near y'all COL. My research advised to go with a slower burn rate? Will now give it a go.

I was a little confused with bullet terms. Frontier bullets just gives general info. 124 gr. Strikers, both used for Match, better quality (I believe) meaning thicker copper plating. ??? On your packaging, is there reference to max. velocity (fps)???
Berry's bullets for 9mm rates their's max. 1200/1250 fps.

Your info on primers was great !!!  I'm not fearful of buying other brands now. (double thank you)

kobus

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 11:54:56 AM »
that is correct. S121 is close to W231 and also Bullseye, R1, P803, Titegroup. I use this for 95gr FMJ, 115gr FMJ, 115gr CMJ, 124gr CMJ, 124gr XTP.

There is another Somchem powder i use. MP200 which i use more for the heavier bullets like 147gr XTP and 147gr Speer Plated HP and also 124gr XTP.   MP200 is close to Universal, W473, P804.

apart from Somchem being a very good powder i use it because it is made in RSA and more readily available and affordable than imported powders.  i would love to get hold of some Vihta N320 and N310 and work up some loads with that.   i must admit that i haven't really been searching hard.

as for primers. some people have their likes and dislikes. if you start changing springs and doing certain other mods to your pistols then it is important to know that some primers are harder than others but that is a whole other discussion.

cheers for now.  :smiley:

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 01:10:46 PM »
Do you guys have any info for Accurate #2 powder and both 115gr and 124 gr bullets?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 02:15:23 PM by chfields »
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

Steve H.

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 06:06:28 PM »
Hi chfields,

I was just talking to a Dillon service rep. on the phone. He mentioned he's using Accurate #5 & #7 for the past 30 years.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/accurate_load_data_3.5.pdf

They have a large Recipe Load Data. - Grafs did have some #2 available this morning.
What type of bullet are you loading.

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 06:36:16 PM »
We got them from the gun show and I believe are comparable to Berry bullets....We have a number of 124gr Hornady's I think as well...Ghostwarrior would be able to answer that better than I..
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 06:46:55 PM by chfields »
CZ 75B SA
CZ Rami BD 9MM
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Proud Army Dad

Steve H.

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 07:58:26 PM »
Just checked Hornady: 9mm .355 - 124gr. FMJ - RN/FP *** I didn't see any Plated bullets on their web site (I could be wrong). Are they HAP - Hollow Point  ???

Accurate #2 - there is a large recipe selection for Rainier & Berry Plated Bullets.
Have you checked Pistols & Magazines Chamber for OAL.

They have a wide range of loads with different  C.O.L.'s to choose from.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:07:30 PM by Steve H. »

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 08:19:17 PM »
I know the Berry's are HP not sure about the Hornady's. I will have to get with Ghostwarrior about that. The OAL we have been using is 1.169 or less.
CZ 75B SA
CZ Rami BD 9MM
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Proud Army Dad

Steve H.

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 08:37:59 PM »
Accurate #2  -  124gr HP Plated -  3.3gr = 885 fps  -  4.2gr = 1001 fps  @ COL - 1.110"
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:39:45 PM by Steve H. »