Author Topic: Some Summer Carry Loads.  (Read 6765 times)

Offline CZ-RAMI-2075

Some Summer Carry Loads.
« on: May 23, 2011, 03:49:34 PM »
DOUBLE TAP AMMO: Summer Carry Loads

Here are a few loads in popular calibers that are seeing some interest
this Summer.

Firstly,

The Double Tap loading of the Barnes X bullet in .380 ACP.

Known as the 80 gr. TAC-XP.

This is a fine looking cartridge that should perform on the street equally as well as the
Barnes bullet Cor-Bon DPX or similar loads using the all copper hollow-point technology.

I'll be running some of this through my LCP and also my Micro Desert Eagle
"KEVIN" pistol in the near future.

Taking another look at the DT/BARNES TAC-XP in .38 Special +P.
You can see that this 110 gr. copper HP is has a very long and tubular/conical profile.

Like with other Barnes loadings out there like .38 Special
DPX.

This load should be equally effective.

My past experience with it in my Crimson Trace equipped
Ruger LCR revolver, showed it to have low recoil but outstanding
accuracy from the short barreled DAO snubby.

The TAC-XPs are lighter than most JHPS like a Speer Gold Dot,
and therefore-  shave a few ounces of the LCR carry package as well.

Lastly, we have a cartridge in caliber that I've never handled before.

While I don't own any .32 caliber handguns, I know that the Rugers
and other guns out there have some following by women and elderly
shooters who like to minimize recoil.

Not to forget, those with Federal .327 Magnums that could also utilize a .32 H&R Magnum in their guns.

Unlike the other Double Tap loads seen here. This is a loaded in brass Starline cases.

I really don't know of any .32 H&R loads out there other than
Gold Dots, but think that this DT offering will have some appeal
for defensive carry.

You get (in most cases) enhanced velocity and custom headstamps with Double Tap products.

I'm very excited to get out into the sunshine and test this stuff out.

All but the .32 H&R that is..but the thought of buying a Single Six .32 Magnum is very enticing!

More information;)

http://www.doubletapammo.com

New: Double Tap Blog:
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/blog/
www.CZforum.com

http://czzone.blogspot.com/

CZ GUNSTUFFS.clarkstoncz@gmail.com for any questions.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: Some Summer Carry Loads.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 09:50:07 AM »
      Thank RAMI, I need to buy more ammo to run ballistics on and post in the board I started for that. So with your recommendation I'll try out DT at least in the 9mm versions. Oh come to think of it I own a CZ83 I totally forgot about! And that is a .32, Shiny another thing to test. Frankly I don't even member how I even ended up with it in the first place. I never saw the point in owning anything lighter than a .38 subsonic, but then again I just now figured out I was being a hypocrite since I own 3 CZ 82's as you know, and those, shoot 9 x 18 which isn't much different than a .32. Oops my bad.  :cool:
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline CZ-RAMI-2075

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 02:20:26 PM »
I've heard the Cz83s in .32 are sweet shooters.

If you do contact Mike about some test ammo.

DO mention me and that you are the CZF owner.
www.CZforum.com

http://czzone.blogspot.com/

CZ GUNSTUFFS.clarkstoncz@gmail.com for any questions.

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 08:28:43 AM »
I want to know what the best self defense load is for 9mm. They say that some leather coats can stop a hollow point. Being summer I don't see that as a problem. I tend to carry 3 mags anyway, one with JHP and the other 2 are FMJ. I was using power ball in my old carry gun because a friend recommended them, but I didn't really do any research which is odd for me. I want something with a large wound channel, and high penetration. I hear that those DRT (Defense Research technology/Dead right there) rounds with the powdered metal in them are great. From what I've heard, they kinda act like the Barnes varmit grenades and explode inside the target.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 11:33:06 AM »
     Dang it Angryvikingman, now you are making me actually have to work as the owner of this forum instead of just kicking back and letting everyone else answer.

The subject has actually come up more than once over the years since projectiles and gunpowder got together. Of course we have come a loooooonnnggg way down the road since then and I think you have a point about ammunition and what potentially will stop it discounting the use of body armour that is. Really what you just asked suggest that possibly we should have on hand ammunition based on the Season and the clothing worn at that time of year.

You actually mentioned that there is ammunition designed to penetrate and stay inside the perp so that no one behind him become collateral damage. And then there is ammunition that is intended more for outdoor and longer distances and penetration and you really don't want to have the wrong ammo loaded at the wrong time. Could be problematic to say the least.

Your understanding of hollow points and heavy coats especially material that has lots of threads and thickness (IE peacoats etc) will stop a hollow point given distance and makeup of the round (hollow point). For that matter 30 layers of silk will stop a .45 which is why Al Capone wore a vest like that every day. Japanese officers and royalty wore vests a hundred layers thick to stop arrows back in those days of yor.

Sorry drifting off topic. I have never heard of that exploding round you mentioned but I have heard of others along those lines, so I am going to take some time to look it and other ammunition up to see how they work and and under what conditions. It'll take a day or 2 I think but as I keep saying we are here to learn new things and help each other. I'll let you know how my research goes hopefully by Monday.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 01:39:27 PM »
Here's the Varmint Grenade:

All of the DRT videos don't tell the caliber of bullet, but the wound cavities are pretty impressive and they don't overpenetrate.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 07:57:10 PM »
     That is some freaky ammo. I think I would really hate to have any of that loaded by accident if I was hunting anything smaller than a bear, because the damage it does I wouldn't bet there would be much meat worth eating.

Of coarse people are a whole nother thing and for in home and self protection in some or most cases I would be OK using it since I do believe that it won't cause collateral damage to anyone or thing if it hits the target where it's intended to go. Probably it would punch the Peacoat or heavy coat material considering how it's designed.

Thanks for giving us the link and if I can I will buy a box and see. BTW they, well someone, makes a couple of rounds similar for taking out door hinges, and door locks. Yes I know different use and almost exclusively used in shotguns. but I thought I would throw that in anyway.

b5.5dan

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 04:22:43 PM »
OK. So, this is completely n00b-speak, but I want to make sure I understand... We always want penetration in our SD rounds, but JHPs have a hard time going through winter/thick clothing. It is less an issue in the summer months, but is a problem during winter time. So when people have on thick winter clothing is it best to leave the hollow points and go for FMJ all together? What is the best compromise for performance?

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 06:09:24 PM »
      Who let this guy join the forum? OH! wait it's an open forum. Maybe it's time to start having requests for memberships approved............... :tongue: 

I know there has got to be someone better qualified to answer that question, there has to be. In the mean time I guess you are stuck with my guesstimet.  :angel: 

I  would think that part of the answer relies on just where you are and how fraking cold it gets and add in how bad is the area(s) you are generally or sometimes are in? My thinking is that if you need to shoot and the person is wearing something like the old style Navy Pea Jackets, or possibly a heavy cotton quilted coats (ever seen the Russian great coats they wear during winter?) then put two 2 or 3 in the chest, and 1 or 2 in the head for safeties sake if you are using Hollow points or anything meant to expand rapidly and do the most damage possible. FMJ rounds on the other hand, I would think that, as long as they aren't sub sonic rounds, 2 or 3 in the chest would do the trick without any follow up, but that point depends entirely on your training. If the FMJ is a light gr or sub-sonic or both then the same rule applies to those as the Hollow Points. 3 + 2.

If you are talking about those fluffy quilted winter/ski jacket sort of things like "North Face" or folks like them make, then I would think the Hollow Points or anything designated as a "Defensive Round" would work just fine.

This is my very own personal like opinion that means absolutely squat, keep in mind this rule of thumb; that no matter what Caliber, Grain, Velocity, and Construction of the round you are carrying, If you put 1 to 3 rounds in the chest/torso anywhere and the other person doesn't fall down or just sort of staggers, start aiming for the legs and or head, (My first choice will always be the head shot, but you never know what cover you or they may be able to get to so remember to look under (if possible) whatever you are hiding behind to see if they have a foot or leg visible, then shoot that, do not even think about it, shoot them where ever the heck you can that you have a shot at. It may well save your life.

One other thing to remember, when you are defending yourself under any circumstance at all and you manage to get the upper hand and in the process the bad person gets disarmed and down no matter how long you think they will be down "DO NOT FORGET TO TAKE THE WEAPON. Then you can either run away or sit on the enemy or try to disable, sorry, I meant subdue, them in a more through manner. How you accomplish the disabling (rats I keep meaning subduing, ) is between you and your Deity of choice and whatever cockamamie city or state laws apply.

Back to the Legalize: EVERY word I just wrote is MY VERY OWN PERSONAL opinion of what to use and how to use it. and then what to do afterwards when you win. Under NO circumstances is anything I wrote to be construed at all to be a legal opinion or to be taken in any, size shape or form as actually being  legal in whatever village, town, city, county, state, or country you reside it. Double check with a criminal ( now there's a term that's definitely tongue in cheek) lawyer or possibly a Legal Aid Society, or even the ACLU, to find out what ever the laws that can cover your tush are in the place you live. You can try asking a LEO, but 3 to 1 odds says they tell you that nothing you do is going to be legal. And to leave your safety entirely in their hands since they are the only ones trained and qualified to use force :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 07:30:27 PM by GhostWarrior »

b5.5dan

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
I really do hate to ask such novice questions... Sorry...

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 07:50:33 PM »
     There really is no such thing as a nOOb or noob or Noob. Novice, Rookie etc questions. Well ok I guess they can be called by one of those as long as no one uses the term "Stupid Question" THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS when it come to making sure you and yours are safe, I don't give a rats patoot if it's pistols, guns, knives, long guns, lathes, saws or screw rivers. If you don't know how to use what ever it is properly or just not sure about anything then ask. Let me modify my statement a little bit. "The ONLY stupid question is the one you don't ask." Period. The End

If some wanker with a superiority complex or someone that actually uses the term "Expert" with a straight face regarding anything at all belittles you for "asking a stupid question" then they are the Stupid person not you. Sure there are silly questions. and questions that may or may not have had to be asked if you were paying attention etc, but the term "Stupid Questions" is the sign Of a truly ignorant life form with an overblown ego.

Personally I Live for those folks. If I hear someone and I mean anyone say that to anyone I will pretty much not miss taking a shot at their intelligence level or more accurately their lack of intelligence. I will give you 5 to 1 odds dollars to donuts that if you asked anyone that works with explosives, Haz Mat materials or anything even remotely lethal if they are Experts they will tell you "Sure right up to the first time I make a mistake" Being a so called Expert means that the person knows EVRYTHING there is about what ever the subject is, and I can state with out hesitation that there is someone somewhere that knows something about the subject you don't. Or comes up with a better way.