Author Topic: New to reloading - could use some advice  (Read 7884 times)

bimmerland

New to reloading - could use some advice
« on: November 26, 2012, 02:32:02 AM »
I bought a Lee pro 1000 set up for 9mm.

This is my formula after doing some extensive reading.

Firearm.    CZ75B SA
Bullet.        Berrys plated 9mm 115 grain Round nose
Powder.  Unique
Grains.    4.3
Primer.     CCI500 small pistol
OAL.          1.15

So far no failures after 1000 rounds but I feel I could use a cleaner powder now that I have become very consistent with my loads. What would you suggest as the next step up. Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
Re: New to reloading - could use some advice
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 04:59:21 AM »
I load the 124gr bullets with 4.2gr of Winchester 231.  They come out of my 75B around 1020fps (subsonic).  231 is a lot cleaner than Unique.  You would probably use a tiny bit more powder for the 115gr bullets, around 4.5gr.  If you check the reloading books they will have recommendations for the charge.

bimmerland

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 06:51:42 AM »
The closest I found was Ranier plated from Midway and they started at 4.3gr with a OAL of 1.165. Should I stay with their recommendations or up my powder or change my OAL or both. Please advise. Thanks

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 11:15:52 AM »
Make a few up and try them.  If the cases have sooty marks after firing then there is not enough powder to expand the case properly.  If that happens add a little more powder and test them again.  Keep the OAL that has been working.

bimmerland

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 05:55:23 PM »
I think I am real close now. OAL is 1.15 and dumping 4.8 grains Unique.  Will test tomorrow.  Thanks

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 09:19:44 PM »
Please share all of your newbie experiences as I too just got reloading gear and want to load for my CZ 85B in 9mm.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 07:41:49 PM »
            I'm in the same pool. I just found out today talking to the Hornady folks, that setting up a brand new press by using assorted fired brass is an exercise in futility and for a lot of reasons apparently, one being you have no idea how many times it's been used, some ammunition fired from 3rd thru 5th generation Glocks tend to have a bulge for not setting correctly or filling the chamber properly, I forget which. And reloading those only makes the bulge worse. which basically breaks done into sort ALL your bras by caliber, And mfg. Then measure the length And width, and then trim to over length ones, debur them, and then clean them. I have read a more than one book on reloading (not cover to cover I admit that freely) and not one mentioned anything about the fact you should use new brass to set the dies with, and after you get consistent reloads, then go to used brass and do all the above things. If you are new to reloading as I am at least.             

I have no idea how long I have spent trying to get my reloading to make more than one round in a row match the next one, until I decide to try an experiment and found a dozen W/W (used, no idea how many times) used them to set the dies with, then dug out a dozen F.C. cases and tried them only to end up with the length different and sometimes the projectile dropping all the way in, instead of sitting barely inside the case until it gets to the seating and crimping die.              

So far I have had a really swell time in the land of frustration until today. Now I am hoping someone, anyone can tell me where I can get bulk NEW brass cheap as possible, and yes I know that cheap today is not the same as cheap as before the election. But as long as it's as cheap as possible, since I have to get enough for all the calibers of the pistols I own and use. (well except for the .22, .25 and .32 calibers. I don't think reloading them is worth the time and effort?){and I have been told you can't load .22's anyway??} Once the dies are set, after that they need little or no adjusting for each companies' brass. once then have been sorted and sized. If it helps any, I have watched the Hornady reloading DVD so many times I have it almost memorized.  :grin:            

Well that's my 2 cents, and if anyone can point me towards a good place to buy new brass to get started with I would really appreciate the help.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 02:09:43 PM by GhostWarrior »
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

bimmerland

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 08:10:52 PM »
My testing proved very positive with my load selection.  I am getting a little sooty condition so I might try a batch at 5.0gr.  As far as used brass goes I was told to inspect each case after using.  I personally put all my days used brass in a baggy and date it.  I then clean it and look for any case splitting. I should be able to use cases for at least a dozen times before I have to discard.  I was able to buy a lot of used range brass and so far have had no issues with most of them. I use a go/no gauge as well as a set of calipers for checking my OAL.  I have found that shooting from a glock produces a little more case bulge that shooting for my CZ due to the Glock having looser tolerances.  Caveat.... What works for me may not work for you or make you uncomfortable. My local reloader supplier is my main source for any questions plus he will come over if I have any issues. To date I have loaded somewhere in the vicinity of several thousand rounds thru my Lee Pro 1000 and have had some minor issue with the loader but all have been addresses and resolved. I think a Lee is a good starter since its a progressive and costs under $200.  If I keep up my current pace of 200 rounds a week shooting I might consider a Dillon 650.  If you have any questions PM me... Regards
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:15:20 PM by bimmerland »

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 08:18:36 PM »
Mr brother is coming to my house in January, he as been reloading for years, he will help me figure things out.

bimmerland

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 08:21:02 PM »
            I'm in the same pool. I just found out today talking to the Hoenady folks, that setting up a brand new press by using assorted fired brass is an exercise in futility. for a lot of reasons apparently, one being you have no idea how many times it's been used, some ammunition fired from 3rd thru 5th generation Glocks tend to have a bulge for not setting correctly or filling the chamber properply, I forget which. And reloading those only makes the bulge worse. which basically breaks done into sort ALL your bras by caliber, And mfg. Then measure the length And width, and then trim to over length ones, debur them, and then clean them. I have read a more than one book on reloading (not cover to cover I admit that freely) and not one mentioned anything about the fact you should use new brass to set the dies with, and after you get consistant reloads, then go to used brass and do all the above things. If you are new to reloading as I am at least.

I have no idea how long I have spent trying to get my reloading to make more than one round in a row match the next one, until I decide to try an experiment and found a dozen W/W (used, no idea how many times) used them to set the dies with, then dug out a doze F.C. cases and tried them only to end up with the length different and sometimes the projectile dropping all the way in, instead of sitting barely inside the case until it get's to the seating and crimping die.

So far I have had a really swell time in the land of frustration until today. Now I am hoping someone, anyone can tell me where I can get bulk NEW brass cheap as possible, and yes I know that cheap today is not the same as cheap as before the election. But as long as it's as cheap as possible, since I have to get enough for all the calibers of the pistols I own and use. (well except for the .22, .25 and .32 calibers. I don't think reloading them is worth the time and effort?){and I have been told you can't load .22's anyway??} Once the dies are set, after that they need little or no adjusting for each companies' brass. once then have been sorted and sized. If it helps any, I have watched the Hornady reloading dvd so many times I have it almost memorized.  :rolleyes:

Well that's my 2 cents, and if anyone can point me towards a good place to buy new brass to get started with I would really appreciate the help.

Have you looked into once fired brass?  If so, what prices are you finding?

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 08:49:24 PM »
              Just started looking actually. I will let you know what I find. But after what I have been thorough trying to get this thing to work consistently I wonder about even once fired brass and if it is even once fired. I am getting paranoid about whether the brass is all the same just once so I know it's not me. I know it's not the Hornaday and I should have called them a month ago but I am a tad stubbron and wanted to sort this out for myself. I finally called an audible and got in touch with the company after my little test. That's more of less how and what I base my experience on and what was recommended or more to say explained.

I really should have thought it out myself, and I'm not happy it took me so long to figure it out and ask the company if I was correct. But as I said I am stubborn when it comes to most things, so it's my bad. If you have anyone you or anyone elsehas a company you consider reliable about actually having once fired brass and inexpensive I will try them. Is the brass mixed lot or all the same company? I presume I will have to re-sized and debur at least some of them? and if it's mixed again I presume I will have to sort them by mfg?

This is the one big single issue I have, the rest I am sure I have a handle on. But until I have someway to know the reloader works the same everytime, it will be impossible to figure out wether I need to increase the powder, change the mfg of the projectile, maybe the primer whatever. The first thing I need is a consistant base to start from. And thanks for the suggestion and I will give that a try.

The biggest problem I have in keeping posts short is that I try to explain my thinking or reasons as to why I say and do what I say and do. Which I am sure confuses the heck out of everyone, but I try my best to be through, so that the person I am "talking" to has all the information and can make a more informed answer. Does it get me in trouble Oh heck ya, I don't try to minimize my involvement it what ever it is I was/am involved in, I simply say everything as best as I can and let the chips fall as they may. Not one of my endearing traits apparently, especially since it's cost me a couple jobs. But as we say in The South "there ya go".
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 03:17:49 PM by GhostWarrior »

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

bimmerland

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 09:37:50 PM »
              Just started looking actually. I will let you know what I find. But after what I have been thorough trying to get this thing to work consistently I wonder about even once fired brass and if it is even once fired. I am getting paranoid about whether the brass is all the same just once so I know it's not me. I know it's not the Hornaday and I should have called them a month ago but I am a tad stubrun and wanted to sort this out for myself. I finally called an addable and got in touch with the company after my little test. That's more of less how and what I base my experience on and what was recommended or more to say explained.

I really should have thought it out myself, and I'm not happy it took me so long to figure it out and ask the company if I was correct. But as I said I am stubborn when it comes to most things, so it's my bad. If you have anyone you or anyone elsehas a company you consider reliable about actually having once fired brass and inexpensive I will try them. Is the brass mixed lot or all the same company? I presume I will have to re-sized and debur at least some of them? and if it's mixed again I presume I will have to sort them by mfg?

This is the one big single issue I have, the rest I am sure I have a handle on. But until I have someway to know the reloader works the same everytime, it will be impossible to figure out wether I need to increase the powder, change the mfg of the projectile, maybe the primer whatever. The first thing I need is a consistant base to start from. And thanks for the suggestion and I will give that a try.

The biggest problem I have in keeping posts short is that I try to explain my thinking or reasons as to why I say and do what I say and do. Which I am sure confuses the heck out of everyone, but I try my best to be through, so that the person I am "talking" to has all the information and can make a more informed answer. Does it get me in trouble Oh heck ya, I don't try to minimize my involvement it what ever it is I was/am involved in, I simply say everything as best as I can and let the chips fall as they may. Not one of my endearing traits apparently, especially since it's cost me a couple jobs. But as we say in The South "there ya go".

The range brass I bought was a mixed bag but never had any issues.  I followed all standard practices by tumbling, case lubing (not mandatory) and loading a couple of samples then gauging my results.  A go/no gauge is great. It ensures the round will feed and chamber properly. I also load a mag with some and then hand cycled them thru the CZ. So far all has been well. I would not worry if the once fired is a mixed bag. I don't reload steel, aluminum or nickle plated. Just use the correct tools and procedures and you should have great success. My only issue I had was the brass I bought was stored in a plastic container that house swimming pool tablets that turned the bottom layers of the used brass to junk. 

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 03:24:34 PM »
          OK I'm just going to go ahead take my time, and get this working. Could still use a reference on who or whom has the cheapest components, either all at the same place or a couple places. I am going to need a lot, so I can get on with testing my CZ's and posting the results. Had to put it off for to long, and now I am going to finally get to do it.

Oh, almost forgot. I need them for .380, 9 x 18, 9mm, .40, .45, 7.62 x 25. Finding all that should be loads of fun. Thanks folks, now it's back to the press time.

Oh and one last (sure it is, and I'm Abe Lincoln :rolleyes: ). bimmerland, you mentioned a go/no go gauge for the brass. I know what it does and how it does it, but what is it, and where can I buy one? The only thing I have is a gauge for checking loaded ammo for IDPA and IPSC competition requirements.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 03:34:30 PM by GhostWarrior »

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 03:33:49 PM »
I have found top quality bullets at Precision Delta.  They do not have 380 but their 9mm & 45 ACP are good.
http://www.precisiondelta.com/product.php?indx=5

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 03:36:49 PM »
                 OK Great! I'll check right now. Thanks very much.
                 Not much of a leader apparently since I seem to need more help then most of our members. :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:  for just about everything.