Author Topic: Reminder  (Read 2749 times)

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Reminder
« on: May 30, 2012, 11:46:40 AM »
    When I was asking about what rounds and grains to use in each of my pistols someone posted their choices for each one as a list, But I can't seem to find it, so if anyone knows what I'm talking about or the person that wrote it please let me know?

I checked as many places as I could before I got a hugh headache and started seeing double, but as near as I can tell, using the better known ammo MFG (there were a few ammo makers I have never heard of so I skipped those) getting a thousand rounds of .22, 9mm, .380, the Mak., the Tok., .40, .45, 12 gage bucksot 00, and .308 comes in slightly more than the worse case scenario on the cost of the initial out lay for the reloading equipment, presume I can find a safe enough place to store the ammo and primers.

Setting up a reloading area is not going to be easy in this house, The biggest draw back is storing the powder an primers away from each other and it something that will direct the blast upwards, every thing I read says a wood cabinet 1 inch thick, I have looked at the Metal flamable storage cabinets, and I think I could ground them easily enough. But the would look really nasty inside my house, and storing any of it in the garage is out, since I can't climate control it in any way, and it gets not only really hot but since this is Florida, we have year round humidity problems.

I checked out the presses, ammo parts, dies', and it comes in at around 2 to 3K. I think in the long run it would pay for all the ammo I didn't have to buy, or at least pay for itself. I have to go with a progressive press because I Really can't focus on one thing for long especially if it's boring, and I need to stay focused so over loading alarms and feeders will help mitigate that. I will have to get a small one off press to make the prototype rounds so I'll know how much powder to use for the big press. Using the big one for experimental rounds when you only make a dozen or so seems to be a lot of hassle, an basically a bad idea.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
Re: Reminder
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 03:19:07 PM »
GW, to address the powder storage issue... I mean it doesn't hurt to be cautious, but you might be overly concerned about the "blast" when your powder go's up. I would guess that the single biggest risk with powder storage would be in a house fire when the fire finally reaches the container, then you had better warn the fire department to back off a little. As long as it's stored away from other flammables there should never be a problem. Old refrigerators make good storage cabinets for ammo and powder. They seal out humidity and installing a hasp lock makes them pretty secure. They can be as inexpensive as "free". A fact about smokeless powder is that it has to be confined to explode. We have actually taken a 1 lb can of bullseye, put a fuse through a hole in the lid and ignited it. It did not explode but ruptured the can fairly unimpressively and then burned intensly with a tall orange flame.
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: Reminder
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 03:54:57 PM »
OK Great! That makes me a LOT happier. Thanks
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice