Author Topic: What Grain projectial would be the best for over all shooting?  (Read 11898 times)

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
Re: What Grain projectial would be the best for over all shooting?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 09:09:51 AM »
a friend was shooting a Glock 9mm with 115gr. ammo.  He was having a problem with the pistol cycling.  The gun was jamming every two or three rounds.  I hate to say it but here goes - limp wrist.  He went to 147gr. ammo - the pistol functioned flaulessly.

Many will agree. Especially with the lighter composite framed guns. A limp wrist can cause malfunctions just like other limp appendages.  :shocked:
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 10:42:35 AM »
Cavedweller:

At the risk of sounding stupid, I figured I would put my .02 cents worth in.
 :smiley: .

On this forum, as far as I am concerned, there is NO such thing as stupid questions or answers when it comes to weapons pretty much of any kind. I also will not abide the word Noob, or such as that, Rookie and Newbie are fine, but the rest are insulting, and I will not allow our members to be insulted, especially when they are trying to help. I should have said this earlier but apparently I forgot it in my post above. and only just noticed I hadn't today. :embarrassed: 

Every last person on the face of the planet has tried something new and had to be shown how to do it, which means at some point we all were rookies, and were helped. For that matter if you want a good comparison, I once helped a literal rocket scientice, (Seriously PhD an every thing) fix his computer over the phone when I worked for Dell. The man was scared to death to mess with anything in his computer, but he would climb all over a rocket (go figure) Ya some folks would have called him a noob or stupid, but the man wasn't even close, he just need someone to show an explain what went where an why, which is not very much different for designing and build rockets. I also helped a Navy Admrial and he knew something about anything to do with running his Carrier Group and all the rest.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 05:59:57 AM »

The man was scared to death to mess with anything in his computer, but he would climb all over a rocket (go figure)
 :laugh: Nobody has ever been electrocuted by a rocket !

Offline CeeZeeNiner

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 09:45:09 AM »
      My question is: Say you have a 9mm and 3 or 4 different 9mm CZ's or possibly even a mix of brands (if that doesn't mess up the answer), And you wanted to stock up on one  round for all the 9's, that would meet pretty much every purpose, things, animals, people, (I hope I Never have to do that), what would you get? 116 grain, 124 grain Sub sonic or sonic, and is there an overall particular manufacture that pretty much something you can count on. I'm looking a ball/FMJ since the only way HP's will work in all my 9's is if I have the ramps polished and I couldn't afford to have that done on a bet. So FMJ is pretty much all I'm interested in.

I have shot a few picky 9mm guns. All of them like the heavy round nose 124/125 grain FMJ bullets. 115 grain sometimes doesn't cycle the action on very old military 9mm handguns with heavy springs. Another choice is Truncated Cone FMJ bullets in 124/125 grain. The blunt nose is suppose to cause more damage to tissue than a regular round nose. The main reason to use hollow points is to stop over penetration, the second reason is to cause a larger wound cavity, the third reason is to make water jugs explode. Some people will tell you that hollow points are a lot better than round nose bullets, but I am sure those people wouldn't want to get shot with a round nose. Shot placement is the key to stopping an attacking animal. If you round are cheaper, you may practice more. A FMJ round nose that hits where you want it to is more effective than a hallow point that misses.

I would look for the NATO 124 grain 9mm cartridges with the crimped primers. Look for the cross in a circle symbol on the base of the cartridge.

Offline CeeZeeNiner

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 09:48:40 AM »

The man was scared to death to mess with anything in his computer, but he would climb all over a rocket (go figure)

http://www.techbastard.com/missile/titan2/littlerockaccident2.php

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 03:53:40 AM »

Well yes actually they have been, but not only that we had 3 astronauts died in a flash fire. There have been accidents involving the fuels that power the rockets. Most any of the liquid propellants are sub-zero Kelvin and which if you are lucky will only take off a limb, if you aren't then you get to be a human popsicle. And to sum it up, first thing any tech does when working on a Computer with a customer is pull the plug, flip the power switch in the back and wait 10 to 20 seconds for the capacitors to drain their charges. So it wasn't getting electrocuted he was worried about, but pulling the wires and cables, and then pulling what ever circut board, Ram chips, and or CPU out of his machine and not getting it/them back in place correctly. Of course, possibly no one has been electrocuted by a rocket, but no one has hopefully managed to kill them selves falling off a computer. :laugh:

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 11:55:44 AM »

Another choice is Truncated Cone FMJ bullets in 124/125 grain. The blunt nose is suppose to cause more damage to tissue than a regular round nose.
I have to second the truncated cone bullets.  They feed better than any other shaped bullet.  If you have a gun that is picky they are the best bet to cure it without any modification to the gun.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 11:58:06 AM by Rodolfo Fierro »

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 01:50:40 PM »

Another choice is Truncated Cone FMJ bullets in 124/125 grain. The blunt nose is suppose to cause more damage to tissue than a regular round nose.
I have to second the truncated cone bullets.  They feed better than any other shaped bullet.  If you have a gun that is picky they are the best bet to cure it without any modification to the gun.

Agreed
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline jonnie

• NRA Patron - LifeMember
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 11:16:05 PM »
Thanks for all the info folks! I am now the proud owner of an SP07 and have been pondering just what I wanted to use for ammo. I currently have 115g FMJs but have been looking for 147g JHPs. I want a cartridge with serious stopping power and good range and accuracy. It begins to look like the TC FMJs are what I am looking for in 124g. Now I just have to find a retailer in my neck of the NW (NorthWet) that as them at a price I can afford ;).
If you ain't havin' fun, you ain't doin' it right!

Then or now, Welcome Home Brother!

NRA Instructor, Red Cross Instructor -  CPR/AED/Wilderness/First Aid, WA Hunter Education Instructor, Washington Trails Assoc., Int'l Hunters Education Assoc.,

Steve H.

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 09:16:34 PM »
From my reading (understanding) CZ 9mm was built with the 124 grain bullet as a staple. With 1:10 twist ratio FAST
But does accommodate the 147 grain bullet with good results.

In the past issues of NRA Riflemen. They did accuracy tests with 9mm's. Different cartridge mfg's. @ assorted distances, with different barrel lengths, from three different pistols.

The 147 grain accuracy was equal and some times better then the 124 grain cartridge.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 12:36:55 PM by Steve H. »

Offline jonnie

• NRA Patron - LifeMember
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 09:45:52 PM »
Well, I've taken my SP07 to the range and discovered that it does NOT like 116g FMJs in the extended mag. It would hang up racking the next round into the chamber. I had to stop and clear it about 3 times before I went to the shorter mags with the JHPs. It DOES like the 147g JHPs though. I wish I had though to get a couple of photos of the targets my grandson and I shot holes in before I tossed them.
I'll be out again in a couple of weeks trying the longer mag with the JHPs and the short mags with the FMJs just to see if I can figure where the hangup is. Have to wait for the local stores to resupply with 9MM. They all seem to have run out and are not in any apparent hurry to re-stock.
I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and is enjoying a great New Year.
If you ain't havin' fun, you ain't doin' it right!

Then or now, Welcome Home Brother!

NRA Instructor, Red Cross Instructor -  CPR/AED/Wilderness/First Aid, WA Hunter Education Instructor, Washington Trails Assoc., Int'l Hunters Education Assoc.,

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 02:23:42 PM »
OK this particular topic drifts from reloading, partly due to me, but it has drifted, So here's the thing.
Three things:
Move whatever is topical to reloading to the new reloading board
Move everything to the new Board,
Do nothing and leave this one alone?

I want to involve eveyone more in how the forum is working and one of the things mentioned was there should be a dedicated reloading board, and so I may that. I have a simular question on the Long guns board becasue we have at least 3 different 550 models being discussed under the olny 550 topic. So there ya go, how say you?