Author Topic: What Grain projectial would be the best for over all shooting?  (Read 12007 times)

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
      My question is: Say you have a 9mm and 3 or 4 different 9mm CZ's or possibly even a mix of brands (if that doesn't mess up the answer), And you wanted to stock up on one  round for all the 9's, that would meet pretty much every purpose, things, animals, people, (I hope I Never have to do that), what would you get? 116 grain, 124 grain Sub sonic or sonic, and is there an overall particular manufacture that pretty much something you can count on. I'm looking a ball/FMJ since the only way HP's will work in all my 9's is if I have the ramps polished and I couldn't afford to have that done on a bet. So FMJ is pretty much all I'm interested in.

I actually have that same question for .380, .40's, .45's. .308's. I figure the Mak and Tok rounds I'm just going to have to go with surplus unless there is an American and or non-corrosive answer for those.

Is there a single manufacture that anyone would buy all their ammo from if they could get a good price for case lots, and what is a decent price on case lots for any of those. Be advised I just got a letter from Federal telling me they not only can't/won't sell to me at even retail let alone a discount for testing purposes, but the Federal literally cannot meet its current demand for product. Keep that in mind if you like Federal. It could get ugly trying to find any or at a reasonable price. I don't think this is going to be an easy thing to answer even the 9mm part let alone the others. And if anyone has a better way to set up the question to get the answers, I would love it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 02:17:08 PM by GhostWarrior »
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

mystique

Re: What Grain projectial would be the best for over all shooting?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 07:36:09 AM »
I know that you are looking for FMJ.  Where I used to work we used Speer Gold Dot 9mm Luger +P 124 gr GDHP later we changed to Winchester 9mm Luger Subsonic 147 gr JHP.   We used these two rounds in Sig Sauer P226 and also the P229.  I also used these two rounds in a Smith and Wesson model 59 and Ruger 9mm carbine.  All weapons functioned well using these rounds.  I never needed to do any ramp polishing or anything else. I did do a lot of shooting though.  Have you tried either of these? I preferred the 147gr to the 124gr.  Both functioned well.  Sorry I can't recommend a FMJ round. 

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 08:47:16 AM »
Thank you any and all suggestions are welcome. I'll see what I can find in those nd how much.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 09:40:24 AM »
The "Cartridges of the World" has ballistic listings for 9 mm Luger factory loads. 
115gr   @ 1160 fps  =  345 ft/lb
115gr   @ 1250 fps  =  399 ft/lb
124gr   @ 1120fps   =  345 ft/lb
124gr   @ 1299fpr   =  465 ft/lb     (US Military)
147gr   @  975fps   =  310 ft/lb

CZ04FT

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 09:52:25 AM »
Too bad about Federal, which I do like on cost, and usual availability, and reasonable quality. I try to get the 115 gr FMJ.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 09:55:08 AM »
     True enough and thanks for reminding me, but in the long run numbers on a page don't really equate to how they perform out of a weapon, Nor does it cover if any mfg has a leg up on quality, nor work across the board out of different weapons. Not just different brands but different designs by the same mfg.

I'm trying to find a Universal 9mm that I can have a reasonable expectation to work basically the same way everything in all my CZ 9's no matter the model. I would rather keep the costs down as much as possible, but if I have to pay more to get uniform groupings and accuracy then I understand and will go that way.

Question is there a "Universal" 9mm or any other round and or possibly from the same mfg. Not holding my breath expecting any or all of that together.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 09:59:05 AM »
         Thanks CZ04FT seems 115 grain is getting more recommendations than the other. I sort of would have thought that the 124 would be the "Universal" round of choice. So I'm getting to learn more new things. and in the process hopefully many of our members will pick up something from these posts. So it's win, win for everyone.

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 01:55:39 PM »
I'll chime in and vote for the 124 in 9mm as I'm a heavy bullet fan. One of my ex's used to shoot IPSC with me and I worked up a load (carefully & judiciously) for her 9mm Glock 19L (6"bbl). I loaded 147gr FMJ @ 1150fps which made the major power factor of 169 with 165 being minimum. Normally you would go with a 38 Super or 9x14 or 9mm Dillon or some other stretched out 9mm.
I generally shoot USA 124gr when I qualify with a 9mm.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:25:29 PM by DeeDubya »
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Cavedweller

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 07:36:08 PM »
At the risk of sounding stupid, I figured I would put my .02 cents worth in. I believe that with FMJ bullets , there could be a problem with over penetration with any caliber except maybe the .380.  I think the lighter weight bullets would give you the least problem of over penetration , but without the energy transfer of HP's , you may need to pump more rounds into your target, depending on what you are shooting at. With paper, it doesn't matter :smiley: .

norcal616

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 07:59:16 PM »
I have also noticed over the weekend when i was using up the last few boxes of ammo before i ordered more...the 115gr likes to drop low...the 124 stays pretty straight...and the 147 likes to go up an...maybe its just me...anybody else notice this?

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 05:44:02 AM »
The heavier bullets take more time to travel down the barrel. During this time the gun is recoiling upward.  The slower bullets print higher on the target.

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 07:33:54 AM »
At the risk of sounding stupid, I figured I would put my .02 cents worth in. I believe that with FMJ bullets , there could be a problem with over penetration with any caliber except maybe the .380.  I think the lighter weight bullets would give you the least problem of over penetration , but without the energy transfer of HP's , you may need to pump more rounds into your target, depending on what you are shooting at. With paper, it doesn't matter :smiley: .

Exactly... with paper it doesn't matter. Also heavier FMJ bullets knock down steel better too. The way I see it, if on an unusually rare occasion and chances are it will never happen, I had to take action to stop a threat to my life or family, I would prefer to have a bullet that functioned flawlessly in my gun without a jam. Over-penetration would be the last thing on my mind.
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline noylj

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 03:39:00 AM »
It all depends on what you want from the ammunition.
Action pistol shooters tend to like very heavy bullets (147-150gn) as the recoil force tends to more a large push back rather than a snappy rise of the front sight. Shooting a compensator, you want the opposite.
Me? I want accuracy. For accuracy, I prefer 0.356" JHPs or 0.357" cast L-SWCs. I find that my 9x19s prefer 121-124gn over 115gn by a very small amount. Some of my guns do really well with 147gn bullets, but not quite as well as lighter JHPs or SWCs.
RNFMJ tend to be the least accurate in my guns and I don't shoot them hardly ever.
None of my 9x19 guns have any problems with JHP or SWC bullets. Even my milsurp P-08s and P-38s feed them just fine.
Right now, I would place the largest order I could for Zero 0.356" 121gn JHP or 0.355" 124gn JHP or Montana Gold 0.355" 124gn JHP. Buy in cases and not 1000 at a time. Order soon as the prices are going to go up.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 11:03:09 PM »
      Thanks every one for all the help. You all make this forum of the very best on the net. Don't let this stop you from tossing out any other suggestions. Who knows maybe your suggestions will give some else a couple ideas to try out if they are in an experimental mood

mystique

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 08:53:20 AM »
a friend was shooting a Glock 9mm with 115gr. ammo.  He was having a problem with the pistol cycling.  The gun was jamming every two or three rounds.  I hate to say it but here goes - limp wrist.  He went to 147gr. ammo - the pistol functioned flaulessly.