Author Topic: Hornady 147 gr XTP  (Read 5386 times)

Cavedweller

Hornady 147 gr XTP
« on: March 01, 2012, 07:00:41 PM »
I bought a box of 9mm 147 gr XTP's because the picture looked like they had an ogive similar to the round nose. (guess my eyes are too bad) When I opened the box to check them out I found they had the exact taper as the 124 gr XTP's and had to be seated to 1.075-1.078 , the same COL as the 124 gr XTP's so I could clear the rifling. This made the seating depth at .330-.332. I am trying 3n37 as the powder which has the starting load of 4.7 and col of 1.142.  I loaded a few rounds at 1.078 and 4.0 grs of 3n37 and the powder was near compression by my measurements. Is it alright to compress 3n37 which is an extruded powder ? It is a very short cut powder and seams to meter as well as my HP 38. I shot the few rounds and they seamed lighter than my 115 gr with 4.4 gr of HP 38. There seamed to be a little unburned powder with 4.0 gr of  3n37. Would 4.1 gr with a slight compression burn better or worse and would it be safe to compress 3n37 ? Or should I just use a light load of HP38 ?
 I hope someone can help me out here. My next try will be with a chrony. I only bought the 147's 'cause I thought they wouldn't use the same taper as the 124's and the picture on the box made it look like they were rounded instead of conical. I also dug the bullets out and only 1 expanded and only half way on one side at that.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:45:30 PM by Cavedweller »

Cavedweller

Re: Hornady 147 gr XTP
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 03:25:24 PM »
Since there were no pressure signs when I tried this combo and it was a very mild recoil, I reloaded a few more at 4.0 gr and used the chrony and they averaged 870 fps. I will try a few more with 4.1 gr and see what that combo feels like and what kind of velocity I get. It takes getting use to these heavier bullets as the point of impact a 25 yds is quite a bit higher than the point of aim compared to the 115 gr bullets.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 04:40:04 PM »
                      Ya I bet they do. And thanks so much for running the tests. I'll be running some of my own this next week with any luck. Not your ammo, just different ammo through different model CZ's
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Cavedweller

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 09:27:33 AM »
The weather finally co-operated so I could test the 147 xtp's with 4.1 gr of 3n37 at 1.075 col which is what I need to fit my cz. It tested at 891.3 fps avg for 10 rds. The felt recoil though heavier than the first load, was still less than some 124 gr bullets I have been using with HP38.  There were no signs of excessive pressure so far so my next step will be trying 4.2 gr of 3n37. I still have problems aiming with this bullet . I aimed about 4" below bullseye and most hit within 1" from top of 8.5x11 printed target with 2 rds hitting above the target by a 1/2" at 25 yds. Not having a bench rest to shoot  with doesn't help determining accuracy. Resting my arms over a cooler steadies me , but the 30mph gusts of wind makes it difficult to hold on target so I can't really test for accuracy , just velocity and pressure signs.  :sad:  Once I find the right combo with the 147's I will test some 124 gr xtp's  at 1.075 col since it has the exact same taper length as the 147's. I would love to have a good bench rest , but have to get the wifey in the right mood to let me spend any more money on my hobby. (she doesn't like handguns) Might have to go to the shed and find some material to make my own. :rolleyes:

Cavedweller

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 11:04:20 PM »
Had a good day today that I was able to test a couple more loads. For some reason my 4.2 gr of 3n37 only averaged 874 fps. and was more mild than my 4.1 gr load. I rechecked my scale and then proceeded with a 4.3 gr test. There were no pressure signs and it averaged 944 fps and it was still a mild recoil compared to what I am use to with HP38.  Calculating all my measurements I came up with a compressed load of a little over 5%. After digging some bullets out of the mud to see what kind of expansion I got , I found the jacket folded back and the lead had fragmented leaving a wad-cutter like projectile with a small hole where it didn't finish expanding. That may not be a true test for expansion , but I plan on trying out some water jugs to see if they expand better in water. Even though there were no pressure signs , I don't trust compressing the powder any more , so that's as high as I will go with the 147 gr XTP's.  When I get these used up I think that will be it for me with 147gr bullets. The 124's expand better, in the mud anyway, and there are a lot cheaper bullets for punching paper. Just had to satisfy my curiosity. As far as accuracy goes , my eyes must have gotten re-calibrated cause the last 2 tests looked a lot better. :grin:

Cavedweller

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 08:12:01 AM »
I tested a round through some jugs of water and the expansion looks like it is suppose to. The mud shots must have hit some rocks to fragment. The velocity of the round I shot through the jugs was 924 fps, so the batch I made that averaged 944 would have expanded even better. Thanks for putting up with this old dis-organized mind.

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 02:28:05 PM »
The hollow points need to hit something wet to expand.  Due to the lower velocity, it takes longer for the bullet to travel down the barrel.  During this time the muzzle is rising from the recoil.  The result of slower bullets is higher impact.  You will need a lower rear sight or a taller front sight to align your point of aim to the point of impact.

Cavedweller

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 08:32:45 AM »
Thanks for confirming what I suspected Rodolfo. Although the 147gr seems to recoil less than my 115s (more of a push than a snap with 3n37), I will probably stick to the  115s and 124s for economy and easier loading (seating depth Problem). My S&W 439 would probably handle the length, but I don't trust it for the pressure (older gun, thinner barrel). Thanks once again.