Author Topic: Clean and lub the mag??  (Read 2871 times)

Offline jdr3366

Clean and lub the mag??
« on: January 26, 2012, 11:24:53 PM »
Is it really necessary to take the magazine apart and clean and lubricate it? If so, how often?
Thanks

b5.5dan

Re: Clean and lub the mag??
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 12:04:42 AM »
It is, in fact, necessary to clean and lube the mag, but I don't think that it has to be done very often at all... I would say that I clean mine out every 1000 rounds, and that's because I enjoy cleaning my guns.  :grin:

If you notice feed problems give it a go, but I wouldn't worry about it. It needs doing, but not regularly, as such.

Offline jdr3366

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 05:14:52 PM »
Thanks for the info.

The bottom of the mag looks like it's just pinned in place. I'll push it in to remove the plate and lightly clean and lubricate it.

b5.5dan

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
Does it not have the little button on the bottom?

Offline jdr3366

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 02:06:49 PM »
Yes, the little button that looks like the end of a rounded pin. I'm just going to remove the mag, push it in and remove the spring. Yes? NO?

b5.5dan

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 02:12:35 PM »
Yessir!

amryan11

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 09:13:58 PM »
Definitely important to clean it. I agree it doesn't have to be done very often, but it should be done. People all too often fail to maintain magazines and they're actually one of the most likely places to have a failure in a handgun, mainly because they're neglected.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 09:31:22 AM »
          Presuming, it's not to late to tell you this, but when you slide the bottom plate off, make sure your hand is over the bottom of the mag or the spring will launch and in the process you may lose the little plate that more of less (read less) hooks on the bottom of the spring itself and is in fact that little button that keeps the bottom plate from sliding off on it's on.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline jdr3366

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 07:09:10 PM »
Not too late. Thanks.