Author Topic: Been hankering for one of these...  (Read 4433 times)

jimmythegeek

Been hankering for one of these...
« on: January 10, 2012, 01:21:42 AM »
I'm still relatively new to shooting.  A while back I went to a range where I could try a bunch of different rental 9mm pistols, and found that the Beretta 92FS and CZ-75b just naturally worked for me.  Between the two, I just liked the CZ-75b more.  Since then, I got a Kadet, which is pricier than the 9mm, but it has saved a lot in ammo costs.  When I get a little more proficient, I'll "level up."  It just wouldn't feel right to run out and buy the bigger bore version without earning it.  I'd just feel like a Mall Ninja.  I would not judge anyone else who did go out and start playing with the big kids.  Not unless they were wearing Tactical underwear, and in that case I prefer not to know. 

Anyway, I was pretty set on a 9mm pistol, until I found I was ok with my brother's HK USP40.  I found the recoil a lot to handle until I copped an attitude.  Then the 10- and x-ring started to feel the heat.  (At 7 yards, so take that for what little it's worth.  Still, beats 6-12" at 6:00!)  That got me thinking: is there a way to interchange the 9mm and .40 S&W slides?  Any significant savings in doing so?

I looked in at the Custom Shop.  If I wanted night sights for CCW and HD, would it be better to take care of that up front?  The gun is really fine out of the box, but the cost of shipping is outrageous and I'd hate to decide I needed them to do trigger work and put the sights on and pay a huge fraction just getting it to them.

Also - how light does that comp trigger job make it?  I don't want it too light for safe CCW.

Ah, I can see the collection growing in my mind.  CZ-85b for my southpaw daughter (only comes in 9mm) combat?, CZ-75b in .40S&W, a compact, another full size in 9mm for me when she goes off to college...

Thanks for any pointers.  Love the Kadet, looking forward to the next one!

Logan

Re: Been hankering for one of these...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 05:15:22 AM »
Perhaps others have different opinions but I don't really see night sights as that useful. In the environment of one's home (where they would most likely be used) I think it would be at ranges of point-and-shoot and trying to acquire a night sight picture might take longer than is worth it, and once that first shot is fired, your night vision is practically gone anyway. But that's my opinion. Perhaps if I saw a really good pair in action I'd change my mind.

b5.5dan

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 11:26:32 AM »
7 yards is about standard for pistoleering, I think. Sounds like you had a good day.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 12:50:01 PM »
          I'm with Logan on this one. About the only thing that you May want to have done and you should be able to find some good enough to do it, is polish the ramp and Possibly the trigger. The trigger is really not necessary, it should smooth out fairly quickly, Especially if you get a set of snap caps and use them to work on building your wrist and hand muscles by pulling the trigger at home.

And good luck getting that pistol back from your daughter when she goes to college. Mine took my very first CZ 75 that I used as my duty and carry weapon for 40 years, when she went off to college. (Actually I gave it to her since it was the most well broken in pistol I had at the time. (I have since given her two other smaller CZ pistols but she won't give me back my pistol. :rolleyes:
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Skillet42565

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 01:55:32 PM »
          I'm with Logan on this one. About the only thing that you May want to have done and you should be able to find some good enough to do it, is polish the ramp and Possibly the trigger. The trigger is really not necessary, it should smooth out fairly quickly, Especially if you get a set of snap caps and use them to work on building your wrist and hand muscles by pulling the trigger at home.

And good luck getting that pistol back from your daughter when she goes to college. Mine took my very first CZ 75 that I used as my duty and carry weapon for 40 years, when she went off to college. (Actually I gave it to her since it was the most well broken in pistol I had at the time. (I have since given her two other smaller CZ pistols but she won't give me back my pistol. :rolleyes:

Is it not illegal where you're at to carry on campus?

b5.5dan

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 02:56:21 PM »
It's not illegal here, as long as you are a concealed carry permit holder. Good stuff!

Skillet42565

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 03:42:09 PM »
I believe in Kentucky we're a completely gun free zone on college campus.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 04:07:32 PM »
          ummmmmmm well technically she was living off campus, But I take your point. 6 years ago even when she did live on campus the pistol was in a small hand safe hidden but she could still get to it, I do believe in the past 6 years the laws have gotten severely tightened, not only here but also in Texas (and most states) where she is in Graduate School. But again she live off campus. I do believe though that there may be some grey area about rifles and shot guns during hunting season, but that not the point and it is still a pistol and not a long gun.

But you know what? It still boils down to common sense and paranoia. I really don't know how old this saying is but  it goes this way: "I would rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6" and if you think I am going to trust the campus pecan patrol to protect my daughter in this day and age when Military guards, Security personal and the general population can't keep whack jobs from strolling around willy nilly carring rifles and shooting whomever they want, than someone is mistaken. We can't be with our children night and day 24/7, and when they grow up and go off to college or even the mall we can't do anything to save them like we may have when they were younger. But we  dang sure can give them all the information and help we can to protect themselves. If we fail to do that then we fail as parents. My daughter became a Life Member of the NRA when she was 16. She has been trained how to use a weapon and how to check it and clean it. I suspect you have trained your daughter as well. Keep in mind 2 things.

First)    The primary cause for a stop and search has never been a concealed weapon. Because if it was concealed then no one could have possible seen it. Therefore the charge of carrying a concealed weapon is generally always a secondary charge as it was found during a search after a probable cause stop. If the police see the weapon and that is the reason for the stop and you don't have a CC then the charge should change to carring a dangerous weapon without a permit, or possion of a weapon by a felon. disturbing the peace but it can not be a charge of concealed weapon. Since it was in plain view at the time. It obviously wasn't concealed so they can't charge carrying a concealed weapon.

Second)  I may not be able to protect my daughter anymore but I can see to it that she can protect herself, since relying on anyone else is a nonlinear idea. And as long as no one knows she has a weapon, she jeeps that strictly to herself then if she has to use it instead of being raped or killed or both then she can and everything after that is solvable. I would rather pay a lawyer what ever it takes up to and including selling everthing and living on the street, then pay a funeral home to bury her, or a physiologist to help get her head straight after the attack. or for physical therapy because she was hurt physically and mentally.

I have also taken the time to teach my daughter every single vulnerable and the most damaging or painfull spots are on a person. I have also taken it one step further by drilling into her that just because she got her assailant down, running away is NOT the correct procedure, If he or she was armed then she (my daughter)needs to secure that weapon, then she should stand there scream for help or call 911 from her cell if she still has it or it's close enough that she can get it without letting the assailant get up even part way. And do whatever it takes to keep the assailant down, kicking them just behind the ear is pretty effective.

The main reason IMHO that people get hurt or killed is that they as so civilised that the thought of doing damage to another person simply doesn't occur to them. Problem is the assailant is no longer civilised and to survive you had best meet them on their own or  better terms if you want to survive. Here is what my graduating class at the Sheriffs Academy took up as our motto. It is one of those saying that you see on cop mugs and t-shirts and such. "Take no guff, cut no slack, just hook 'em and book'em and don't look back". It sounds pretty damn heartless and uncivilised, but think of it this way, if the bad guy had even the slightest chance he wouldn't hesitate a spilt second to kill you if he could even if it meant he it would help him get away. As for the bleeding heats let me point you to the Peace Corps, working in both the US and abroad, the Amnesty International Organization, Several Religious groups, Doctors Without Boarders. Green Peace and countless others that have had members killed, executed (yes I know killled and executed both mean dead, but one happens quickly and the other is done in a timely but  less impulsive way), raped , tortured and sold into slavery trying to help those same "poor misunderstood folks that acted out and nothing they did was their fault, Society had failed them" folks.

You know what ever single manjack and woman's primary job is in life? It's to get home at the end of their day alive so they can be with their families and hope they are there when their families need them the most. And when you are attacked it's simply becomes a matter of common sense, whether you have a chance to do win or simply except the fact that the bad guy this time has the upper hand. Know when to pick your battles and never be a hero, unless you know beyond a doubt that if you don't even try you are going to die, or someone other than the bad guy will. And the most important thing to remember is that in a confrontation the rule of law no longer applies. The bad guys sure as heck aren't concerned about it. and you had best not be yourself.

Anyone that reads this can take it or leave it, if you choose to take any of this to heart then you do so on your own. I simply stated what I personally believe in and what I am trained to do. If you google any of this I give you even odds you will find sourses and classes or at least demostraions on what I am talking about. Not one thing I have said is for anyone even remotely squmish, because if you are not commited to doing what ever it takes to keep yourself and or the lives of others safe then don't even think of trying anything you find on the net. So as I said. Nothing here is or was, nor should be taken in anyway other than personal opinion and thoughts. Do not try anyhting I said unless you have the background,. And even then, it's still your call.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Skillet42565

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 12:02:25 AM »
I can definitely respect that opinion.  At my campus, we have a large police presence, of actual police officers, not just the fuddy duddy patrols so I typically feel pretty safe, I just wish I had a way to keep my gun close for when I want to hit the range up.

Logan

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 06:12:32 AM »
No matter how well-trained they are, they are still minutes away when a half-second can make a huge difference. Assuming they get the call in the first place. At Virginia Tech, it was at least two minutes after the shooting started before anyone even called 911. Ten more minutes before the police arrived, and a couple more minutes to break in to the building. That's scary.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 09:20:03 AM »
        Which makes my point. The shooting on the military base went pretty much the same way. If you aren't prepared to protect your self anyway you have to then odds are not in your favor. Damn if I'm going to wait even 2 secs to take out a hostile. You can not rely on anyone but your self (and your team if you have one) when push come to shove. Seconds away, or mins away it's still to much time the hostile has to do you and yours harm. Protect yourself, Protect others if you can, End the matter if you can. Never give the hostile any sort of warning or break, drop 'em. let the LEO's clean up when they finally show up.  And by Federal Law you as a civilian have to right to do what ever is necessary when a felony is being commeted.

As I said, this is what I would do. I believe that A) any part of it would be legal, and or B) if any part wasn't legal per se, but you saved lives, presuming a DA was stupid enough to try me. I seriously doubt that a jury would convict. People in general are increasingly becoming tired of allways being scared, and no one to protect them. If there is any doubt look at how much Gun sales have jumped, and more to the point look at the national average of CC permit requests have shy rocketed. The only danger I can see here is civilians with little or no training turning into vigilantes. That is a very scary thought, and if I was on a jury hearing a case of a vigilantly that caused death or injury to others than the bad guys, odds are I would convict. I have 40 years of practice and experience, REAL WORLD, not television, or class room training or competition's, or range time. real world, and even I wouldn't do that. Civilians need to look out for themselves and the families an their neighbors possibly presuming they can or won't look out for themselves. Civilians DO NOT need to go looking for trouble or thinking they are helping the police, they will only get themselves or bystanders killed. Or end up in jail for life. Look to yourself, never mind the rest unless you are confronted with a situation that your Honor and or Conscience says you need to help adddress. Again That's MY and only MY opinion. Other than checking up on rules of engagement regarding Felonies in progress, Both Federal Statues and State and Local, I recommend that you do not try this at home as they say.
        But then, I'm one of those people that think Dueling should never have been outlawed, People were Much nicer towards each other when dueling was legal.

Offline DaveShooter

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 07:29:02 AM »
          ummmmmmm well technically she was living off campus, But I take your point. 6 years ago even when she did live on campus the pistol was in a small hand safe hidden but she could still get to it, I do believe in the past 6 years the laws have gotten severely tightened, not only here but also in Texas (and most states) where she is in Graduate School. But again she live off campus. I do believe though that there may be some grey area about rifles and shot guns during hunting season, but that not the point and it is still a pistol and not a long gun.

But you know what? It still boils down to common sense and paranoia. I really don't know how old this saying is but  it goes this way: "I would rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6" and if you think I am going to trust the campus pecan patrol to protect my daughter in this day and age when Military guards, Security personal and the general population can't keep whack jobs from strolling around willy nilly carring rifles and shooting whomever they want, than someone is mistaken. We can't be with our children night and day 24/7, and when they grow up and go off to college or even the mall we can't do anything to save them like we may have when they were younger. But we  dang sure can give them all the information and help we can to protect themselves. If we fail to do that then we fail as parents. My daughter became a Life Member of the NRA when she was 16. She has been trained how to use a weapon and how to check it and clean it. I suspect you have trained your daughter as well. Keep in mind 2 things.

First)    The primary cause for a stop and search has never been a concealed weapon. Because if it was concealed then no one could have possible seen it. Therefore the charge of carrying a concealed weapon is generally always a secondary charge as it was found during a search after a probable cause stop. If the police see the weapon and that is the reason for the stop and you don't have a CC then the charge should change to carring a dangerous weapon without a permit, or possion of a weapon by a felon. disturbing the peace but it can not be a charge of concealed weapon. Since it was in plain view at the time. It obviously wasn't concealed so they can't charge carrying a concealed weapon.

Second)  I may not be able to protect my daughter anymore but I can see to it that she can protect herself, since relying on anyone else is a nonlinear idea. And as long as no one knows she has a weapon, she jeeps that strictly to herself then if she has to use it instead of being raped or killed or both then she can and everything after that is solvable. I would rather pay a lawyer what ever it takes up to and including selling everthing and living on the street, then pay a funeral home to bury her, or a physiologist to help get her head straight after the attack. or for physical therapy because she was hurt physically and mentally.

I have also taken the time to teach my daughter every single vulnerable and the most damaging or painfull spots are on a person. I have also taken it one step further by drilling into her that just because she got her assailant down, running away is NOT the correct procedure, If he or she was armed then she (my daughter)needs to secure that weapon, then she should stand there scream for help or call 911 from her cell if she still has it or it's close enough that she can get it without letting the assailant get up even part way. And do whatever it takes to keep the assailant down, kicking them just behind the ear is pretty effective.

The main reason IMHO that people get hurt or killed is that they as so civilised that the thought of doing damage to another person simply doesn't occur to them. Problem is the assailant is no longer civilised and to survive you had best meet them on their own or  better terms if you want to survive. Here is what my graduating class at the Sheriffs Academy took up as our motto. It is one of those saying that you see on cop mugs and t-shirts and such. "Take no guff, cut no slack, just hook 'em and book'em and don't look back". It sounds pretty damn heartless and uncivilised, but think of it this way, if the bad guy had even the slightest chance he wouldn't hesitate a spilt second to kill you if he could even if it meant he it would help him get away. As for the bleeding heats let me point you to the Peace Corps, working in both the US and abroad, the Amnesty International Organization, Several Religious groups, Doctors Without Boarders. Green Peace and countless others that have had members killed, executed (yes I know killled and executed both mean dead, but one happens quickly and the other is done in a timely but  less impulsive way), raped , tortured and sold into slavery trying to help those same "poor misunderstood folks that acted out and nothing they did was their fault, Society had failed them" folks.

You know what ever single manjack and woman's primary job is in life? It's to get home at the end of their day alive so they can be with their families and hope they are there when their families need them the most. And when you are attacked it's simply becomes a matter of common sense, whether you have a chance to do win or simply except the fact that the bad guy this time has the upper hand. Know when to pick your battles and never be a hero, unless you know beyond a doubt that if you don't even try you are going to die, or someone other than the bad guy will. And the most important thing to remember is that in a confrontation the rule of law no longer applies. The bad guys sure as heck aren't concerned about it. and you had best not be yourself.

Anyone that reads this can take it or leave it, if you choose to take any of this to heart then you do so on your own. I simply stated what I personally believe in and what I am trained to do. If you google any of this I give you even odds you will find sourses and classes or at least demostraions on what I am talking about. Not one thing I have said is for anyone even remotely squmish, because if you are not commited to doing what ever it takes to keep yourself and or the lives of others safe then don't even think of trying anything you find on the net. So as I said. Nothing here is or was, nor should be taken in anyway other than personal opinion and thoughts. Do not try anyhting I said unless you have the background,. And even then, it's still your call.
Ghost you are a man after my own heart in what you think and say. I loved it. You are right a person has to be ready at all times in every situation. you only get to live once in the game of life . No 2nd chances for sure to protect loved ones and yourself as well especially in todays times.. Again hats off to ya.